Friday, June 24, 2011

Snoqualmie flow






Don't have too many friends that have a kayak, so paddling is usually a solo mission for me. My favorite spot for white water is the middle fork of the Snoqualmie river. I like these days a lot cause it's pretty much just me, my kayak, the river, and the elements of nature. A real good way to test yourself and get an understanding of your abilities and the power the river has. It's a full mission, driving alongside the river making mental notes of entry and exit points. I'll find a place to put in, usually float 6 to 8 miles of the river, get out at my exit, stash the kayak find the road and start walking the few miles back towards my car. Most of the time i walk a mile or so and then hitch a ride with an incoming car the rest of the way.



Most of the river is class III rapids. It definitely sparks the adrenaline, floating from rapid to rapid, avoiding rocks as much as possible, finding your flow. It's amazingly peaceful knowing it's just you out there, you have to be on it. Some sections scare me too much to do, so i'll have to get out and hike alongside the river bed until i can get to safer section. The battle of man vs nature is incredible, but always keep respect for where you are, it's big country out there and humans are small and easily swallowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment